01. The Advent Of Panurge (4:45)
02. Raconteur Troubadour (4:03)
03. A Cry For Everyone (4:06)
04. Knots (4:11)
05. The Boys In The Band (4:34)
06. Dog's Life (3:13)
07. Think Of Me With Kindness (3:31)
08. River (5:52)
Total Time: 34:15
- Gary Green / guitars, percussion
- Kerry Minnear / all keyboards, vibraphone, percussion, cello, Moog, lead and backing vocals
- Derek Shulman / lead vocals, alto saxophone
- Philip Shulman / saxophones, trumpet, mellophone, lead and backing vocals
- Raymond Shulman / bass violin, guitar, percussion, vocals
- John Weathers / drums, percussion, xylophone
Many thanks to Martin Rushant for laugh coinspin and variable speed oscillator, and Mike Viccars, Moog operator.
The Gentle Giant Homepage:
Gentle Giant's fourth album has a harder, more rocking edge, making a striking contrast with their more symphonic third album. No doubt the reason was the introduction of John Weathers on drums. The album still contains a wide variety of sounds and textures, from the rocking power of The Advent Of Panurge to the vocal intricacies of Knots to the beauty of Think Of Me With Kindness.
The title was allegedly invented by Phil Shulman's wife, Roberta. It is short for "Octo Opus," or eight musical works. (Thanks to Robert Jacobson.)
The album was released with a Roger Dean cover in the UK (above left), and the "octopus in a jar" cover in the USA (above right) by Charles White. See the Japanese CD cover.
The band had an octopus balloon as a promotional item
Gentle Giant - Funny Ways - 16mm Film - 1974
Gentle Giant - Nothing At All
Gentle Giant - I Lost My Head